[Ontbirds] 46 Tundra Swans/King Eider/Niagara River&Port Colbournen

sabre at sympatico.ca sabre at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 30 22:19:39 EST 2013

While out driving today we came across 4 Tundra Swans behind the Port Colbourne Hospital & Marina parking lot.

About 3:00 pm on the Niagara River just north of the Peace bridge on the Canadian side at the parkette across from Fishin Canada Shop, we found what appeared to be a juvenile/first year male King Eider. We watched it for some time as it swam with some Red-breasted Mergansers from near the shore to the left of the parkette into the current toward the bridge and along the edge of the faster current. We eventually lost track of it as it was diving.

Continuing north down the river we saw 2 Mute Swans, 5 Tundra Swans and near Service Road 17 we found an additional 37 Tundra Swans together feeding.

There were also large numbers of Redheads near Service Road 17.

Take the QEW to Fort Erie, exit on Central Ave. Make a right at the light and proceed to stop sign and turn left (north)for the Niagara Parkway and under the Peace Bridge. Parkette is the first one on the right past the bridge.

Happy Birding!

Barb
Beamsville,ON
sabre at sympatico.ca