[Ontbirds] Snowy Owls and Peregrine Falcons - Burlington Canal / Canvasbacks @ Lasalle Park

Netscape ad753stephen at netscape.net
Tue Dec 31 14:42:43 EST 2013

I was at the navigation light end of the Burlington Canal this morning photographing waterfowl when I spotted two heavily barred juvenile Snowy Owls on the Burlington side of the canal entrance into Lake Ontario.  They were both perched on a large concrete buttress opposite me and being buzzed by the resident Peregrine Falcons that live on the lift bridge.    I took still photos and a short video of the action but will not get to post these images until at least late tomorrow.

The waterfowl present at the Lake Ontario end of the canal included hundreds and hundreds of Long-tail ducks, 30-40 White-winged Scoters, at least 20 Red-breasted Mergansers, several Mute Swans, at least a dozen Trumpeter Swans, and one long juvenile Common Loon.

Farther into the canal closer to Burlington Harbour there were many more Long-tails, a large number of Greater Scaup and some Canada Geese.

Directions: From Hamilton take the Eastport Drive West and park at Eastport Park just before the lift bridge.  Be careful walking out to the light as the canal wall is very icy underneath the fresh powdered snow.

I also visited Lasalle Park in Burlington.  There I saw Canvasbacks, Buffleheads, Trumpeter Swans, Mallards and Scaup and a juvenile Bald Eagle flew overhead.

Directions: from Burlington take Plains Road East or West until it intersects with Watertown Road/Lasalle Park Road.  Take Lasalle Park Road down to Burlington Harbour.

Good birding!

Stephen

Sent from my iPad