[Ontbirds] Tufted Titmouse, Eagles, White-throated Sparrow - Howe Island (Kingston)

Sharon E. David sharon.e.david at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 09:41:36 EST 2014

The Tufted Titmouse first observed in mid-October is still coming to my
feeders on Howe Island, east of Kingston.  I am posting for those “new year”
listers in case this is of interest to you.  The bird is still a bit
difficult to see but is regular on the clinging feeder on the road side of
my house, particularly in early to mid-morning – best luck between
8:30-10AM. I have observed it on the water side copper feeder, on the ground
under that one, and at my heated bird bath.  It is also being seen at #96,
so is still travelling between the homes here.  Feel free to park in my
drive ways and walk along the road.  You can enter my property but please
stay on the road for the other places (#96 feeders are not easily seen from
road).

I also still have 2 White-throated Sparrows coming and there is a Screech
Owl readily visible 3 trees in from the road at the brown cottage (as you
drive back from my home to Goodfriend it is 2 houses away on the left side
about ½ way up the large Hickory tree).  Bald Eagles are readily seen
patrolling the water ways, which have almost completely frozen over now and
with the cold the next 2 nights may be closed. Red-bellied Woodpecker is
also present.

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/93306495@N05/

Happy New Year!

Sharon David

80 Havenwood Trail, Howe Island

(613) 532-2226

Howe Island is accessible by an on-demand ferry located off Joyceville Road
and Hwy 2 at Howe Island Ferry Road, ~15 km east of Kingston. There are no
breaks during weekdays, but on weekends is closed 12-12:30, 2:30-2:45 and
4:30-4:45.  Cost is $5 (may have increased as of January 1st).  There are no
amenities on the island.  On the island, take the second road right
(Baseline Road), then left on Goodfriend Drive, and left onto Havenwood
Trail. Island map and ferry info:
http://www.frontenaccounty.ca/en/ferry/landing.asp