[Ontbirds] Mandarin Duck in Whitby

Mark Cranford [Ontbirds] ontbirds_coord at rogers.com
Sat Jan 4 19:50:10 EST 2014

I just talked on the phone with one of the volunteers who were asked
assess the reported Mandarin Duck. I have not viewed this bird. Earlier
the duck had been reported to be in distress. Assessment showed that the
bird was alert and wary. There was no attempt to capture the duck. A net
could have been used if it was deemed necessary. There are procedures
for dealing with wildlife including exotics on public land and they are
being followed.

Hopefully the weather will improve and the Mandarin will realize that
Mallards are not the best role models.

---
Mark Cranford
ONTBIRDS Coordinator