[Ontbirds] Ontario winter bird list update

Josh Vandermeulen joshvandermeulen at live.ca
Wed Jan 8 14:40:16 EST 2014

Ontbirds subscribers,
After five weeks of winter birding 187 species have been reported in Ontario. With 2013-2014 being the coldest and snowiest winter in recent memory, there has certainly been a decrease in the diversity and quantity of "good" winter birds that have been seen across the province. Since my last update in mid December, the following eight species have been added to the list:Rose-breasted Grosbeak, House Wren, Gray-crowned Rosy-finch, American Three-toed Woodpecker, Brant, Blue-headed Vireo, Harris's Sparrow, and Lincoln's Sparrow.
I have created a spreadsheet in Google docs where the list can be found, and it can be viewed at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApeLiIuFO8cfdHVxejFKUWptak9Bckc3czJhQ3hzeEE&usp=sharing

Some of the notable misses so far include Osprey, Virginia Rail, Black-headed Gull, Boreal Owl, Townsend's Solitaire, and Hoary Redpoll. As always, if you know of a sighting of one of the missing species between December 1, 2013 and now, just send me an email.
Good birding,Josh Vandermeulen

Josh Vandermeulen
Schomberg, Ontario

joshvandermeulen at live.ca