[Ontbirds] Spotted Towhee, Glen Williams, plus Hamilton area birds

Mark K scarbropengyou at yahoo.ca
Sun Jan 26 21:22:01 EST 2014

The SPOTTED TOWHEE at 571 Main St. in Glen Williams showed up today at 8:20 A.M. and stayed for several minutes. At the woods behind the Olympic Arena on Olympic Drive in Hamilton, my father and I had a RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER, a NORTHERN SHRIKE, and the FOX SPARROW. The feeding area favoured by the Fox Sparrow is on the creek bank. Best viewing of the area is actually obtained by stepping out onto the frozen creek (many thanks to two gentlemen we met there, Len and Barry, who showed us the feeding area and best place to observe from). The female KING EIDER was in the Burlington Ship Canal. Birds at the Red Hill Creek/Windermere Basin area included 3 NORTHERN PINTAILS, about 15 COOTS, at least 60 RUDDY DUCKS, 6 GREEN-WINGED TEAL, a GREAT BLUE HERON, a GLAUCOUS GULL, and 18 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS. The RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was seen in the vicinity of the porch at 3196 Campden Road in Campden. Finally, on Walker Road between Philip Rd. and Mountainview,
 about 5 or 6 km west of Campden, we had a swirling flock (lovely sight!) of about 200 SNOW BUNTINGS.

Mark Kubisz,
Scarborough, ON