[Ontbirds] Spotted Towhee - Glenn Williams, Varied Thrush - Guelph, Northern Flicker & Carolina Wren - Niagara Falls

RICK BROWN brown.jay at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 8 22:48:02 EST 2014

First thing this morning I went to see the Varied Thrush which is still present in the same area at the north east corner of Guelph, Guelph Lake area.  From there we went to see if the Spotted Towhee was still there and it was showing very well.  We then headed to Niagara Falls where just before the falls we had a Northern Flicker, Red-bellied Woodpecker and Hairy Woodpecker in the large trees, above the falls we had Song Sparrow on Dufferin Island (bird feeders) stopping at the spot where they feed the ducks and there we had Carolina Wren.  Along the Niagara Parkway towards Fort Erie we had lots of ducks, Snowy Owl on the ice, Great Blue Heron, Peregrine Falcon.

On the way home, south of Guelph I rescued an Eastern Screech Owl that I believe must have been hit by a car.  Didn’t have a box so with no alternative I had to let the owl loose in my car.  While driving the owl jumped in the back window and then decided to roost on my rear seat head rest.  Comical to look in the rear view mirror and see this little owl looking all around.  Just got home from dropping the owl of at a nature rehabilitating spot, and if there is no damage to the owl I will release him back where I found him.

Rick Brown, Fergus

Directions:

Varied Thrush

Directions from 401 travel north on Brock road then right on Wellington 34
left on Victoria then right on conservation rd. On the right is the dam and
dam road. Walk to the dam on your left are fruiting shrubs the bird is
feeding here.

Spotted Towhee

Directions: 401 W or E exit at Trafalgar Rd. & go N to Steeles E, turn Right & then turn L at
2nd road N continue driving to the north end of Georgetown until you reach Main St, Glenn Williams.  Turn right onto 571 Main St.

www.flickr/photos/brownjayadventures

Email: rickspics1952 at yahoo.ca