[Ontbirds] Red-throated Loons, White-winged Scoter, Red-necked Grebes and others in Thames River London Ontario

Pete and Sue Read psread at xplornet.com
Wed Feb 12 09:41:25 EST 2014

Apparently recent continued freeze-up in the upper Great Lakes has forced
lingering waterfowl to get out and head to open water. Almost every year in
our inland position we get such wanderers.

A few have landed without reaching water as was noted by Rick Thorton
recently. A Red-throated Loon was picked up and taken to Salthaven, a local
rehab place.

We now have had White-winged Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, Horned and Red-necked
Grebe, scaup, and many waterfowl unusual for our inland position arriving in
the Thames River in London.

Yesterday, two Red-throated Loons were spotted in the stretch of the Thames
River in Springbank Park reported first by Paul Roedding. Best access for
them is by parking at the Springbank parking area about .5 km west from the
intersection of Springbank and Wonderland. Walk down to the riverside down
the steep stairs and look out on the river there. If not there, waterfowl
have been seen upriver all the way to Warncliffe Rd. Access is available all
along the south side of the river at such places as off Wonderland at 285
Wonderland Rd South with public parking for looking near the Guy Lombardo
bridge over the Thames at Wonderland Rd, and Greenway Park, off Springbank,
where you can drive down to the area of the Pollution Plant and look for
birds in the open waters there. There are a few parks on the north side of
the river as well.

We have not had a Red-Throated in winter since two were seen in 1898. And of
course we don't record that species every year in Middlesex.

One other notable spot for viewing waterfowl is the Fanshawe Conservation
Area dam. Parking is at the dam and then one can look down into the river
below. A scope is very helpful.

Fanshawe CA main entrance to the dam is off of Clarke Rd, between Huron
Street and Kilally Rd.

Great birding.

Pete Read