[Ontbirds] Barrow's Goldeneye Washago, Still Present

David Szmyr David.Szmyr at flemingcollege.ca
Mon Mar 3 19:24:29 EST 2014

Hi all,

The male Barrow's Goldeneye was present this evening from the previously noted location off Centennial Park in Washago. At 5:35 p.m. I found the bird swimming in the open water amongst the Common Goldeneye. As stated in the previous posting by Karl Konze, the goldeneye do not start arriving in decent numbers until approximately 4:45 to 5 pm. For the best opportunity and vantage point I would suggest trekking through Centennial Park and setting up a scope with your back facing the sun to the west for ideal lighting conditions.

Directions: From Hwy 11 north of Orillia take Exit 169 off the highway. Take your first right onto Quetton St, you will cross over a railway and make your way to a bridge. Park before the bridge or in the parking lot for Centennial Park.

Good birding,

Dave Szmyr