[Ontbirds] Holland Marsh and Brooklin owls and Bald Eagle

Hendrik Hart hhart at ca.inter.net
Fri Mar 7 20:47:24 EST 2014

Greetings,

Yesterday, March 6, I carefully surveyed most of the vegetable fields around Holland Marsh, hoping to find Snowie Owls. In the process, around midday, I first found a Bald Eagle just north of Raveshoe rd at the end of the woodlot that borders on the fields. Initially I found no owls, but when later I traversed the same route after 4 pm I found 3 that had not been there before. One just north of Bernard, one on a hydro pole on King, and one on an TV antenna on Edward. I feel confident, after several outings that worked the same way, that later in the afternoon provides a better chance to find the owls than midday.

I watched the owl on Bernard for a long time, because she/he was interacting with 2 live large rats. Just what the action was all about I dare not say say. The rats saw no need to run away, the owl attacked them but seemed to do no harm. Maybe a first year owl still has things to learn and was having a practice with two relaxed rats. For a short while when the owl paid no attention they decided to mate. I have no website, but I will send  you a sequence of shots in small format that do clearly tell the story.

The Holland Marsh fields are north of Hwy 9 on either side of Hwy 400 and go as far as south of Keswick on either side of Raveshow rd. Ravenshoe rd crosses Leslie on entering Keswick.

Today I went to see whether the Great Grey owl at Brooklin was still there. I waited for an hour before sunset. Others said the owl had not been seen for about 10 days.

Hendrik Hart

#3315 - 55 Harbour Square
Toronto, M5J 2L1
Canada
Ph: 416-594-2538
Email: hhart at ca.inter.net

Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.  -Sergei Rachmaninov

#3315 - 55 Harbour Square
Toronto, M5J 2L1
Canada
Ph: 416-594-2538
Email: hhart at ca.inter.net

Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.  -Sergei Rachmaninov