[Ontbirds] Franklin's gull, Wilson's phalarope Blenheim Sewage Lagoons

Steve Charbonneau via ONTBIRDS birdalert at ontbirds.ca
Mon May 5 13:34:15 EDT 2014

Hi Everyone,
At 12:45, I found 2 good birds at the Blenheim Sewage Lagoons.  There was a
first summer Franklin's gull floating around in the first pond on the right
(Pond 2) and a Wilson's phalarope swimming at the north end of the first
pond on the left (Pond 1).  By the time I was able to get back near the
gate for a 'scope, I couldn't refind the phalarope, so I'm unsure as to sex
of the bird.  I think it was a male, though.  I also had 1 long-billed
dowitcher fly over me calling as I was walking one of the dikes.
Currently, the back sprinkler cells are dry and there are no shorebirds
there.  Good luck!

DIRECTIONS TO THE LAGOON SITE:
Blenheim is on #3 Hwy [Talbot Rd. ] in Chatham-Kent.
Take # 3 Hwy West out of Blenheim, about 1 km.
You will see a car wash at the corner of Lagoon Rd.,
turn right [ North]. Go about 1/2 km. and you will see a small
locked gate [ see below]. Enter at this gate ONLY.

For those coming by #401. Take interchange
#90-which is #40 Hwy North & Communication Rd. South.
Travel South, towards Blenheim, a few km. Just as you reach
the outskirts of Blenheim, you will see a "Sobey's "
Grocery  store. It is at the corner of  Allison Rd. Turn right
On Allison and travel 2.9 km. This will take you to Lagoon Rd.,
Turn left  on Lagoon Rd.
Where you will see the lagoon property and the small gate
[ not the large gate].

Entry is by combination lock.  Candy will give you the #'s
with your Permit.   Do not pass  #'s on to other people.

NOTE:
Please park on the lagoon side of the road only.
Close and latch gate behind you when entered.
LOCK gate when leaving! (I have arrived there seeing the gate wide open
many times!!)
This is a privilege so please be respectful.

*Steve CharbonneauErie Beach in Chatham-Kent*