[Ontbirds] Franklin's Gull, Blenheim SL - Thu May 8

Frank Pinilla via ONTBIRDS birdalert at ontbirds.ca
Thu May 8 17:30:53 EDT 2014

Hello Ontbirders,

My brother and I just had the Franklin's Gull fly over our heads and around the 3 southerly ponds at the Blenheim Sewage Lagoons and then kept flying off to the south.  We watched it for several minutes noting the dark grey mantle, black wingtips, darkish underwing with white at base of primaries and partial but extensive black hood (with notable white entering). Noticeable primaries missing from one wing.

Also here are a Horned Grebe and an assortment of other waterfowl incl Redhead, Blue & Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, Ruddy Duck & Lesser Scaup and a few American Coots.

Good birding,
Frank & Rob Pinilla

directions:

The sewage lagoons are on Lagoon Road just north of the Talbot Trail just west of the town of Blenheim. A free permit is required either through the town of Blenheim or at the Rondeau PP Visitor Centre.

Sent from my iPhone