[Ontbirds] Trip Report for Presqu'ile/Peter's Woods

Doug McRae via ONTBIRDS birdalert at ontbirds.ca
Sun May 11 15:58:03 EDT 2014

Greetings Ontbirders

Fourteen people enjoyed a great day in the field at Presqu’ile (morning) and Peter’s Woods (afternoon).  The bright sun, heat and a bit of wind kept song and activity down a little but we managed to find 84 species, including a few goodies and lots of quality looks at quality birds. We also didn’t put much effort into marsh birds and ducks so that suppressed out total a bit too.

At Presqu’ile highlights included 3 breeding plumage Red-throated Loons off the beach, 25 + Great Egrets on nests, 2 Sandhill Cranes that did a flyby of Owen Pt., 1 first summer Glaucous Gull on Gull Is., a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher pair building a nest - possibly to replace one built on a moving, hanging branch last week, 1 American Pipit, a nice selection of warblers including scope views of a preening Blackburnian and an Orange-crowned which is a rare spring migrant, several Scarlet Tanagers including an orange variant at the Lighthouse, a Rusty Blackbird there, and 8 Orchard Orioles among the many Baltimores.

Peter’s Woods was fairly quiet by mid day but we added a few species including Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, plus Red-tailed Hawk and Turkey Vulture in the area.  The massive trees and wildflower/fern show was pretty nice as well.

Thank you to all for coming - it was a very enjoyable day with great people!

Cheers,

Doug

Doug McRae
P.O. Box 3010