[Ontbirds] Rondeau Update May 11, 2014

Reuven Martin via ONTBIRDS birdalert at ontbirds.ca
Sun May 11 16:02:49 EDT 2014

Good afternoon,

Although the hot weather continues to make birding slow at times, there are
still some nice pockets of birds around, most notably at the start of Marsh
Trail and at Pony Barn.

Many birders have come away with great sightings of Prothonotary Warblers
today, with birds at the Maintenance Loop (a pair), in the Log Pond at Pony
Barn and on Tulip Tree Trail being seen irregularly. Apparently one or more
people today were luring them in today by continuously playing song
recordings. Prothonotary Warbler is an endangered and declining species in
Ontario, with Rondeau being one of the last breeding locations left, and
this harassment is unacceptable.

A White-eyed Vireo has been providing great views today at the Maintenance
Loop.

Thank you to everyone who contributed sightings and please continue to do
so at the Visitor Centre or to me through email.

eBird users submitting checklists from the park are encouraged to share
them with the username "RondeauPPVisitorCentre" for our records.

More information on the park's nature programs and the Friends of Rondeau is
available at the Friends' website: www.rondeauprovincialpark.ca.

Directions: Take exit 101 from Highway 401 and drive South 16 km on Chatham
Kent Road 15. Turn right and follow the signs to the park. Bird sighting
information, bird checklists, bird feeders, and breakfast and lunch offered
by the Friends can be found at the visitor centre. To reach the visitor
centre from the park gate, travel 6 km South on Rondeau Road to Gardiner
Ave., then follow it around the bend to the parking lot. I lead guided
hikes in the park twice daily - contact the visitor centre for more
information.

Reuven Martin

Friends of Rondeau Bird Guide