[Ontbirds] Harris's Sparrow - Algonquin Provincial Park

Dan Birkenbergs via ONTBIRDS birdalert at ontbirds.ca
Sun May 11 19:56:35 EDT 2014

Good Evening All,

At approximately 10:30am this morning, I observed a solitary Harris's Sparrow in a spruce tree at the southeast end of the Old Airfield (Mew Lake Campground) in Algonquin Park.

Likely an immature male as black bib was blotched, the bird was calling repeatedly with a similar call to the White-throat, however only 2 notes at a time.  Further the bird was noticeably larger than a White-throat.  I confirmed with a naturalist that this would be a rarity for Algonquin.

I apologize for the late notice, but I am just now in signal range.

Directions: Highway 60 to Algonquin Park.  Mew Lake campground is approx. Km 30.  Follow road in to campground, Old Airfield parking lot less than 1 km in on left (follow signs).  By foot follow Old Railway Bike Trail (signs posted) to SE end of airfield.  Permit required.

Cheers!

Dan