[Ontbirds] Chimney Swifts are back!

Kathy Jones via ONTBIRDS birdalert at ontbirds.ca
Tue May 13 13:55:35 EDT 2014

Posted with permission of the Ontbirds Coordinator

Chimney Swifts are back!

With the first swifts spotted in Ontario, the 2014 SwiftWatch season has begun! Report your first sightings on www.ebird.ca<http://www.ebird.ca>; you can also track the spring migration at http://goo.gl/KwRbX0. If you observe nesting and roosting swifts please report their nesting chimney to http://goo.gl/cJVDm .

This spring we are looking for individuals or groups to take part in the National Population Roost Monitoring Blitz.  Participants monitor a known roosting site for four evenings (May 21, May 25, May 29, and June 2). The results from Ontario SwiftWatch are combined with other groups to assess Chimney Swift population trends across Canada.

In Ontario any known roost site can be monitored but we have coordinated programs in place in Aurora, Bancroft, Barrie,  Brighton, Dundas, Fort Erie, Guelph, Halton, Hamilton, London, Ottawa, Pembroke, Picton, Port Rowan,  Stratford and Toronto.

If you are willing to spend 1-4 evenings (May 21, May 25, May 29, and June 2) monitoring swifts please contact Kathy at volunteer at birdscanada.org<mailto:volunteer at birdscanada.org> for information and/or your Regional SwiftWatch coordinators contact information.  If you are unsure where to monitor we can also point to the Chimney Swift roost nearest to you.

To learn more about this program visit the Ontario Swiftwatch<http://www.birdscanada.org/research/speciesatrisk/chsw> (http://www.birdscanada.org/research/speciesatrisk/chsw/)  web pages, information on how to become involved is available under "resources" and "how can I help".  SwiftWatch is supported in Ontario by Environment Canada and in Toronto by the Ontario Trillium Foundation.

Kathy Jones
Ontario Programs Volunteer Coordinator
Bird Studies Canada
P.O. Box 160