[Ontbirds] Worm-eating Warbler at Parrot's Bay CA near Kingston

Everett Hanna via ONTBIRDS birdalert at ontbirds.ca
Tue Jun 3 12:31:37 EDT 2014

Hello,

Because I was indirectly referenced in a previous post by Julia Freedman (i.e., the "other birder"), I figured I should share my opinion for the record, too, RE the Worm-eating Warbler at Parrot's Bay CA near Kingston as observed ~ 1030 hr on Thursday, 29 May 2014.

I will admit that the song sounded very similar to that of a Worm-eating Warbler, but I most certainly watched the bird producing it and it was more likely a Pine Warbler in my opinion.  Unfortunately the individual did not offer any good views - especially because it was consistently foraging and singing at > 40 feet in the mature pines - so my identification of the species is not 100%.  I can unequivocally say though that the bird which was singing had a clean light lower half to its breast with a canary yellow upper half hence why I suggest Pine Warbler as the species.

For anyone interested, I recorded a quick video of the song on my iPhone and uploaded it to Dropbox here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/9it0h3oud7763hp/Video%202014-05-29%2C%2010%2028%2011%20AM.mov) - you can also hear the Kentucky Warbler in between bouts.

Again, by call alone, I vote Worm-eating Warbler, but, by visual observation and foraging behaviour, I vote Pine Warbler.  Perplexing indeed!  It would be nice if someone could capture and post some photos if the bird is still around.

Parrot's Bay CA can be reached by travelling south from Hwy 401 on Cty Rd 6 (Exit 599) to the very bottom.  Turn right (west) on Hwy 33 and travel 2 km.  The parking lot will be on your right (north).  To find the bird(s), walk the trail ~ 100 m to the first fork.  Take the right (east) branch and walk another ~ 75 m.  Both birds (Kentucky Warbler and Worm-eating Warbler) were hanging around in the stand of mature pine-deciduous trees.

Happy birding!

-Everett

--
Everett E. Hanna
Ph.D. Candidate | Long Point Waterfowl/Western University
e/ everett.hanna at gmail.com
w/ http://longpointwaterfowl.org