[Ontbirds] Huron Fringe Birding Festival Port Elgin Ontario Final Weekend Summary

ntoth at rogers.com ntoth at rogers.com
Sun Jun 8 08:35:15 EDT 2014

The second weekend of the Huron Fringe Birding Festival (May 29 - June 1) was warm to hot (from a high of 20C to a high 27C on Sunday, June 1).  Sightings were plentiful for this time of the year.

COMMON NIGHTHAWK and WHIP-POOR-WILL continued to be heard regularly within MacGregor Point Provincial Park.

Warbler highlights included both the call and brief sighting of a CONNECTICUT WARBLER.  BLUE-WINGED, GOLDEN-WINGED and BREWSTER'S WARBLERS were all sighted toward the south end of the park.

Participants in the Festival continued to have great opportunities to view SORA and VIRGINIA RAIL at the Ducks Unlimited Wetland.

Highlights during outings included the sighting of downy SANDHILL CRANE chicks north of Elsinore; a PEREGRINE FALCON pair north of Wiarton and numerous AMERICAN BITTERN.  Courtship displays (which did seem to be late in some cases) for many species including RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, MERLIN and our mascot the AMERICAN REDSTART were observed.

Prior to the middle of June, a complete list of all species sighted will be available on both the Huron Fringe Birding Festival Facebook site and the Friends of MacGregor Point Park website.

The Huron Fringe Birding Festival Committee thanks its many leaders and presenters for helping us to create positive birding experiences for our participants.  See you in 2015.

Norah Toth

The 2015 Huron Fringe Birding Festival is scheduled to be held May 22 - 31, 2015.  In 2014 it was recognized as one of the top 100 Festivals in Ontario by Festival and Events Ontario.  Follow our blog: http://huronfringefest.wordpress.com