[Ontbirds] Scugog, Nonquon and York Birds - Sept 8-9

Geoff Carpentier geoff.carpentier at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 12:57:34 EDT 2014

I was on the 404 yesterday and saw the previously reported Snowy Owl at the 16th line just west of the 404. I know it has been reported that it is an escapee, but I wonder if that has been confirmed. I also wonder why, if it is an escapee, the self-identified owner hasn’t come forward to retrieve it. I bring this up simply because, if wild, it is a very significant late summer record and joins the Hamilton and Amherst Island birds to represent these radically unseasonal sightings.

Closer to home up here in the hinterland, 7 Common Loons flew over the house today and yesterday the first Brown Creeper and Ruby-crowned Kinglet were at the house.

Nonquon was pretty good today. Water levels are high but waterfowl, Bonaparte’s Gulls and shorebird numbers were good. Most shorebirds were in the 2nd lagoon from the west end. Partial list includes:

Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator)  5 (adult + 3 young)
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa)  2
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)  23
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola)  1     female = present for weeks
Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus)  6
Green Heron (Butorides virescens)  1
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)  1
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca)  1
Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes)  15
Stilt Sandpiper (Calidris himantopus)  1
Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla)  1
Short-billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus griseus)  1
Bonaparte's Gull (Chroicocephalus philadelphia)  211     actual count of sitting birds

Permits must be purchased in advance of entering the lagoons. They cost
$10.00 annually.

The permits may be purchased at the Durham Region Transfer Site located at
1623 Reach Rd, Port Perry during the following business hours .... Tuesday,
Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Thursday from
8:00 a.m. to 6 p.m.  To get to the transfer station, travel north on Hwy 12
past Port Perry [Hwy 7A] to the next traffic lights [Regional Road 8 Reach
Rd.] and travel east to #1623 on the north side of the road.

The lagoons are located one road north of the transfer site on Concession
Rd. 8 [don't get confused as, despite the fact that these roads are both
numbered "8", they are two different roads - one is a regional paved road,
the other a dirt concession road.]. Access to the lagoons is from the east
end of Conc. 8 only as the bridge is out west of the lagoons.

Geoffrey Carpentier
www.avocetnatureservices.com