[Ontbirds] Cranberry Marsh, 11-Sep-2014

Geoff Carpentier geoff.carpentier at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 07:12:30 EDT 2014

Yesterday at Cranberry the hawks were flying, albeit in lower numbers than I
expected considering the barometric pressure and wind direction. Perhaps the
wind speed and gusty conditions impacted the flight?? Thx to all who kept me
company and who helped count the birds. 107 hawks and allies recorded ...

57 species of birds in total were seen including:

Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator)  2
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)  30
Northern Pintail (Anas acuta)  6
Great Egret (Ardea alba)  11
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)  1
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  48
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)  7
Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus)  42
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)  1
Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus)  2
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  4
Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola)  1
Black-bellied Plover (Pluvialis squatarola)  1
Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus)  1
Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria)  1
Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes)  3
Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla)  1
American Kestrel (Falco sparverius)  1
Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)  1     juvenile
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)  2
Bank Swallow (Riparia riparia)  3
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)  6
Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota)  2
Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris)  3

77 Monarch Butterflies were noted as well.

View this checklist online at

Directions: From Victoria St. in Whitby go south on Halls Rd to the second
short walkway going east to the Cranberry Marsh Lookout.

OFO Hawkwatching Guide (ID tips, migration times, hawk basics)
http://www.ofo.ca/webapp/site/page/view/articles