Durham Fall Field Day Sundat September 14

Hugh Currie currie_hugh at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 22:28:04 EDT 2014

Our Fall Field Day was held today finishing at 5 PM as always.  Brian Henshaw was our gracious host for the roundup. Today's species total stands at 158 within 3 of the all time record. Two long overdue new species were added to the 81 year cumulative total bringing it to 255. These were Northern Saw-whet Owl and Sandhill Crane.
There were at least 15 record high totals and 3 others were equaled  but  results are still coming in. The highest party list was 110.

We had 21 species of warbler today also 4 species of owl. Some of the more interesting finds included 2 Cackling Geese, 3 Long-billed Dowitchers at Rotary Park and a Red-necked Phalarope at the Cannington SL.
Highlights included a Merlin giving chase to a Common Nighthawk at Nonquon SL. The nighthawk eventually escaped minus a few feathers and with considerable loss of dignity. Another surprise was the sight of 6 Cape May Warblers together at the top of a dead tree.  A  fine time was had by all.