[Ontbirds] HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (27 Oct 2014) 151 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Wed Oct 29 00:10:10 EDT 2014

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 27, 2014

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture             105          26262          26382
Osprey                       0             35            118
Bald Eagle                   0             46            104
Northern Harrier             3            262            655
Sharp-shinned Hawk           9           4346           8922
Cooper's Hawk                4            194            264
Northern Goshawk             0             11             12
Red-shouldered Hawk          3            368            368
Broad-winged Hawk            0            155          70719
Red-tailed Hawk             24           1895           1921
Rough-legged Hawk            0              4              4
Golden Eagle                 3             53             53
American Kestrel             0            705           2450
Merlin                       0             37             79
Peregrine Falcon             0            118            163
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              1

Total:                     151          34491         112215

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end   time: 13:00:00
Total observation time: 4 hours

Official Counter:        Mary Carnahan

Observers:        Bob Johnstone, Jim Dunn, Keith Sealy

Visitors:
Thanks to Mary, Keith, Jim and Bob J. for doing today's count.

Weather:
A cloud day with winds from the E then turning to the SE which is never
good for flights past the hawkwatch.

Raptor Observations:
Today's flight was mainly to the north of our position at Sharpie Alley
with TVs (105), Northern Harriers (3), Sharp-shins (9), Coops (4),
Re-shoulders (3), Red-tails (24) and finally in the last half hour Golden
Eagles (3). By 1:00 PM the flight had stalled, thick cloud had moved in
coming from the south, so after about 30 minutes we called it a day.

Things got off to a slow start with only a single Sharpie and a few TVs
which were north of our location at Sharpie Alley.  At 10:00 a.m. things
picked up with 2 low, adult Red Shoulders and later, another adult
Red-shoulder also very low -- great views!  Then began the Red-tail parade
with a few low Harriers thrown in and in the last hour, 3 Golden Eagles, 2
of which were very low, providing great views and photo ops.  The third
ambled through, farther south of our location so not as great a view but
still easily identifiable as a Golden Eagle.

Non-raptor Observations:
We are still seeing and hearing many birds flying in flocks close to the
Cliff; today observers reported Robins, mixed Blackbirds, E. Bluebirds,
Purple Finches, European Starlings, Cedar Waxwings and Pine Siskins.  A few
Ring-billed Gulls were seen cruising the cliff, Bonaparte's Gulls were seen
in flocks above the cornfield at the ridge, and many Canada Geese and
Mallards were observed at both locations.  In addition, observers reported
3 Woodpecker species (Red-bellied and Downy Woodpecker and Northern
Flicker), Ruby-crowned Kinglet, BC Chickadee, White-breasted Nuthatch,
Northern Cardinal, Hermit Thrush, DE Juncos and a single Rock Pigeon.

We are still seeing Monarch Butterflies with 2 reported today.  As well,
observers noted singles of Eastern Comma, Orange and Clouded Sulphur and a
few Cabbage Whites.  Meadowhawks (dragonflies) are still present at the
Cliff and the ridge plus 1 Back Saddlebags.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm