[Ontbirds] Royal canadian Institute lecture, Thursday Feb, 5

Dave Bailey whaler at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 3 15:51:37 EST 2015

Posted with permission of Ontbirds

Sorry for the late notice, but I just received this in my facebook feed this morning. A free presentation from the Royal Canadian Institute For the Advancement of Science

Bird, Bytes, and Breakthrough Technology

Steven Price, MS, BSc, President, Bird Studies Canada

In the field, people can now record plant and animal sightings in real time with their smart phones. At the same time, emerging radio tracking technology known as "motus" (from the Latin for "motion") is transforming bird migration research. Together, these open the door to new "citizen science" and exciting discoveries in both the academic and recreational realms, key to conserving birds and all wildlife.

Noel Ryan Auditorium, Ground Floor, Mississauga Central Library, 301 Burnhamthorpe Road W. Parking under the library is free after 6 p.m. Enter via the ramp accessed from the southbound lane on Duke of York Boulevard between City Centre Drive and Burnhamthorpe Road.