[Ontbirds] Rusty & Red-winged Blackbird, White-thr Sparrow: Howe Island (Kingston)

Sharon E. David sharon.e.david at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 08:29:18 EST 2015

The winter storm is bringing some good birds in today to my feeders/ground
food on Howe Island, east of Kingston. My lone Rusty Blackbird has increased
to 6 birds this AM. There was also a male Red-winged Blackbird new today,
and a lone White-throated Sparrow has been present most of the winter. A
Cooper's Hawk has been frequenting & catching many of the Mourning Doves.

Sharon David

80 Havenwood Trail

Howe Island

613-532-2226

To reach Howe Island take the County operated ferry - The Frontenac-Howe
Islander Ferry dock is located at 2 Howe Island Ferry Road, Kingston Ontario
which is off of Highway 2, a 10 minute drive east of CFB Kingston (or an
approximate 5 minute drive south of Highway 401 along Joyceville Road). See
http://www.frontenaccounty.ca/en/ferry/GettingHere.asp for a map & schedule
of ferry breaks at http://www.frontenaccounty.ca/en/ferry/usingtheferry.asp
- cost is $6. After exiting the County ferry continue until the 2nd road on
the right - Baseline Road, then left on Goodfriend and left on Havenwood
Trail (#80). Please remain on the road but you can park across from and at
#80. Most birds are visible at the road side feeders.