[Ontbirds] FW: dark phase red tailed hawk

SHEILA BOWSLAUGH 1sheila at bell.net
Thu Feb 12 15:50:24 EST 2015

From: 1sheila at bell.net
To: mark.cranford at ofo.ca
CC: kayoroy at niagara.com
Subject: dark phase red tailed hawk
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 19:27:10 +0000

Hi Mark

Has anyone reported one of these birds in the Beamsville Grimsby area recently?  I looked out my window to see a large black bird which was too big for a crow with bright yellow feet sitting in a a black willow shrub by the creek.  Never having seen  dark phase red tail I would hesitate to call it but it did have a red tail when it flew.  If    anyone has time to check the area, as it has now flown off, it might be worthwhile.  I understand this would be quite unusual for this part of Ontario.

I am at 5515 King St. (reg. rd.#81) in Beamsville. At 30 Rd.  We  do get quite a  few hawks around here as there is a conservation area just across the road in the valley and lots of small critters and birds.

Sheila Bowslaugh