[Ontbirds] OFO Fisherville Outing-Sunday, Feb. 22

dave milsom milsomdave at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 23 11:47:17 EST 2015

40 keen winter birds attended Sunday's OFO trip to Haldimand region.
Considering it has been one of the coldest February months on record, the fact that Lake Erie was almost completely frozen, and all the farm fields were covered in deep snow, it was surprising that we found as many birds as we did !
Of the 42 species, highlights were as follows : 15 Rough-legged Hawks ( 6 dark morph), 20 Red-tailed Hawks, 3 American Kestrels, 2 Northern Harriers, 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk, 1 Cooper's Hawk, 3 Rusty Blackbirds, 40 + Red-winged Blackbirds, 36 Brown-headed Cowbirds, 4 Sandhill Cranes, 3 large Snow Bunting flocks, scattered groups of Horned Larks, 1 Tufted Titmouse (Ruthven C.A.), 2 Red-bellied Woodpeckers, 1 American Robin, 3 Northern Mockingbirds, 1 Song Sparrow, 2 flocks of Eastern Bluebirds, 2 flocks of Wild Turkeys, a male Red-breasted Merganser sitting on a field, and 5 Short-eared Owls at Fisherville Raptor Reserve.
Many thanks to Barry Coombs for co-leading this trip, and to Wayne Bullock and David Okines for their invaluable assistance.

Dave Milsom
milsomdave at hotmail.com