[Ontbirds] Thickson's Woods Red-throated Loon flight & Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Dennis Barry dbarry at interlinks.net
Thu May 28 07:36:09 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

This morning just after 6:00 a.m. I spotted a loose flock of Red-throated
Loons circling high over the bay at the south edge of Thickson's Woods.
They made several attempts to head northwest into a strengthening headwind,
circling back over the lake and trying again.  Finally they seemed to find
an altitude with suitable winds and headed off.  Not sure how far they got,
or if they returned to the lake.  After several counts, our best estimate
was 28 birds.

                The only migrant in the woods this morning was a calling
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher in the alders at the edge of Corbett Creek Marsh
at the northeast corner of the woods.

Dennis Barry & Margaret Carney

905-725-2116

To get to Thickson's Woods exit #401 at Thickson Road.  Go south to the
Waterfront Trail.  Park along Thickson Road.  Walk east along the Waterfront
Trail for about 200 metres.  The entrance to the woods is on the right and
the meadow entrance is on the left.