[Ontbirds] OFO Field Trip, Happy Valley / Palgrave Conservation Area

John Schmelefske j.schme at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 11:27:13 EDT 2015

OFO Field Trip:  Happy Valley/Palgrave, Saturday June 13th

8 participants enjoyed a pleasant day of birding covering the areas in and around Happy Valley Forest Reserve and the Palgrave Conservation Area.  We tallied a respectable 69 species.  Birding in the Happy Valley forest was a bit slow with the pond near the entrance being the most productive.  Here we got Sapsucker,  Indigo Bunting and a very accommodating Mourning Warbler.  The reserve itself produced various forest birds including Hooded and Black-throated Green Warbler, Scarlet Tanager and Great-crested Flycatcher.

The 16th sideroad was again a reliable spot for Eastern Bluebird and other farmland species.

Palgrave conservation area was quite productive for warblers including Blackburnian, Pine, Mourning, Nashville, Back-throated Blue, and Northern Waterthrush.  The local Pileated Woodpecker put on an impressive display.

We ended the day on Humber Station Road where the small marsh gave full-frame views of Green Heron.

Many thanks to our trip participants who all contributed to a wonderful outing.

John Schmelefske