[Ontbirds] Kingston Area Birds: 25th - 31st July 2015

Mark D. Read markdread at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 11:17:28 EDT 2015

Special Notice: Amherstview Sewage Lagoons is temporarily closed for a
scheduled 'Wetland Construction Project' that began Monday 27th July and is
predicted to continue into early October. The site is now designated as a
'construction zone' and access is strictly prohibited. I will notify birders
as soon as access to the lagoons is once again permitted.

Kingston Field Naturalists (KFN) maintains records in a 50km radius of
MacDonald Park, Kingston. Birders already using eBird are encouraged to
share their sightings with 'Kingston FN'. Alternatively, please email, phone
or post records directly to me - contact details below. Please note that
some sightings may require review and remain unconfirmed unless stated
otherwise.

Highlights:

Not too much to report this week I'm afraid, though we still managed to pull
off a couple of good sightings. Highlights of the week include; RED-HEADED
WOODPECKER, SEDGE WREN, and ORCHARD ORIOLE.

A very good sighting of 5 SEDGE WRENS came in last week (24th), reported at
a location just northwest of Verona. Another good record was of a RED-HEADED
WOODPECKER seen at Lemoine Point CA, Kingston on 30th. Staying in Kingston,
the resident PEREGRINE FALCON was seen downtown on 25th, and the Lemoine
Point CA ORCHARD ORIOLE was again seen on 25th. Before closing for scheduled
maintenance, Amherstview Sewage Lagoons held 4 WILSON'S PHALAROPE, 1
PECTORAL SANDPIPER, 3 SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, and 10 BLUE-WINGED TEAL. At
Wilton Creek, near Napanee, shorebirds were also to be found this week - the
most unusual being a SANDERLING seen there on 28th. And that's it - I said
it was short.

In order to minimise disturbance to wildlife and property, Kingston Field
Naturalists has adopted the KFN Sensitive Sightings Policy
<http://kingstonfieldnaturalists.org/birding/KFN_sensitive_sightings_policy.
pdf> . Also note that, as requested by the landowners, sightings of owls at
the privately-owned Owl Woods must not be distributed on the Internet (this
includes posting as 'Amherst Island' on eBird) by KFN or anyone who visits.
To ensure continued access to this location, please respect their wishes and
follow the guidelines posted on-site. To maintain records for conservation
purposes, sightings from that location are welcomed through all the
traditional channels.

As always, thanks to all those who have submitted sightings over the last
week.

Mark.

Mark D. Read

337 Button Bay Road,

Wolfe Island,

Kingston, Ontario

K0H 2Y0

Canada

Mobile: +1 (613) 217-1246

Email:  <mailto:markdread at gmail.com> markdread at gmail.com

Blog: "Confessions of a Global Birder" http://markdread.blogspot.com
<http://markdread.blogspot.com/>

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/markdread/

eBird Guidelines for Reporting Sensitive Species
<http://help.ebird.org/customer/portal/articles/1006789-guidelines-for-repor
ting-sensitive-species>