[Ontbirds] OFO F.T. Kettle Point, Port Franks, Exeter S.L and West Perth Wetland.

Maris Apse apsemaris at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 8 23:33:35 EDT 2015

Although the day was already hot and humid at 0800hrs. the 'magnificent seven' managed a total count of 65 birds, with some geographic advantage over the Toronto Islands. We did tally 4 plover sp. and 9 sandpiper sp. plus 1 phalarope by the end of the day at Mitchell, when the last 3 of us barely made it to their cars before the torrential rain began at ~1600hrs.Some highlights of the day - Kettle Point - 1 ad. Bald Eagle, 1 Osprey, 2 Red-headed Woodpecker and 2 juv. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 1 ad. Great Black-backed Gull, 2 Caspian Tern, 3 Great Egret.Port Franks - 2 Sandhill Crane, 1 juv. Black-crowned Night Heron.Unfortunately 2 of our group had to head home from Grand Bend  whilst the rest us crawled on north being caught in a fundraising event.Exeter S.L. - close looks at 4 Black-bellied Plover, 3 Stilt Sandpiper, 5 Baird's Sandpiper,4 Pectoral Sandpiper, 4 ad. Red-necked Phalarope(9 days earlier I had seen 6 juvies here). 2  more of our company had to take their leave from here. On route to Hwy #23 just east of Sunshine Line on the north side both Cindy and I yelled Golden Plover!! - I had seen 4/5 birds in a wet patch with some 15/20 Killdeer. We pulled into a laneway #6768 (?) and both grabbed our scopes. I scoped the pond and heard Cindy counting over 20 plovers and suddenly realized that the whole field was alive with birds. 74 in all of which 66 were Golden and just 8 Black-bellied. Definitely the highlight of the trip for the last 3 of us.West Perth Wetland (Mitchell) - not much to report and as it got darker and darker a bit worrisome  and quite noisy with lightning flashing - we did see 1 Black-bellied 5/6 Greater Yellowlegs and many Lesser and finally 1 Wilson's Snipe only new bird of day.  A thoroughly enjoyable day and we hope to see more in 2 years and next year at Oliphant.                                                                    Maris Apse,  10094 Red Pine Rd,  Grand Bend,   ON  N0M 1T0,   519-238-8415