[Ontbirds] Arctic Tern, Van Wagners Beach

Cheryl Edgecombe cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Wed Sep 30 14:35:13 EDT 2015

Posting for Rob Dobos:

During a brief stop at the Lakeland Centre at Van Wagners Beach in Hamilton,
at about 12:25 pm I had an immature Arctic Tern in a group of about 35
Common Terns.  The birds were close to shore and flew by first from the east
heading towards Burlington but soon turned around then flew past again
heading east; eventually I lost sight of them in the distance off the Stoney
Creek shoreline.  I stayed focused on this bird with my scope to confirm its
field marks, so didn’t really study most of the other terns, and as a result
can’t say for sure if there was only one Arctic Tern in this group of Sterna
terns.  I had heard from other birders who were leaving when I got there
that there had been some Common Terns around earlier in the morning, so
these birds may be seen again at the Beach in the strong north to northeast
winds today.
A juvenile Lesser Black-backed Gull also flew past me.

Rob Dobos

Directions to Van Wagners Beach: Take the Centennial Parkway (Hwy.20) exit
from the QEW in east Hamilton and proceed north to the North Service Rd.,
turn left and continue west as it turns into Van Wagners Beach Road.
Continue to the parking lots at either Hutch's Restaurant or the Lakeland
Centre viewing tower and view the lake anywhere near here.

---