[Ontbirds] Eagles, Falcons, Cranes, Thrushes, Warbler and Sparrows - Toronto Islands

Norman Murr normurr at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 30 19:25:34 EDT 2015

Today Bill Smith, Peter McParland, Victor (didn’t get your last name Victor) and I birded Hanlan’s Point and it was a good day to be birding.

Before we even got off the ferry as it tied up at the dock we spotted a Bad Eagle overhead and as soon as we got off the ferry a second one was overhead.

A good start for a very birdy morning and following are some of the other birds we found.

Osprey, Sharp-shinned and Cooper’s Hawks, Merlins, A. Kestrels, Peregrine Falcon, Sandhill Cranes overhead, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers and Northern Flickers, Eastern Phoebes, 5000 or so Blue Jays, both Kinglets, Gray-cheeked, Swainson’s and Hermit Thrushes, Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos, 14 warbler species including Orange-crowns, Northern Parulas, many Yellow-rumped and Palm, Pines, Blackpoll and a. Redstart, Scarlet Tanagers, Indigo Bunting, Clay-colored Sparrows, Lincoln’s and Swamp Sparrows, many White-throated Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows, a bunch of Dark-eyed Juncos and Rusty Blackbirds.

DIRECTIONS TO THE TORONTO ISLAND FERRY DOCKS

TORONTO ISLANDS – FALL SCHEDULE – Take Note:- The last ferry to the city during the week is at 4:15 pm and you will have to walk all the way to the Centre Island ferry if you miss that one.

Note:- Fare :- Adults $7.25 - Seniors / Students $4.75

If you are on the subway southbound get off at the TTC’s Union Subway Station, walk south on Bay Street (on the east side of the station) for about 1 km to the ferry docks at the foot of Bay Street at Queen’s Quay and you are there. The entrance to the ferry docks (well signed) is on the west side of the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel.

To get to the Toronto Islands from the TTC’s Union Subway Station on the TTC you may transfer to the #6 or the #6A Bay St. TTC bus on Bay Street just outside of the east entrance to the GO Station. They both go down Bay Street to Queen’s Quay. Go passengers arriving by go train or bus must pay a fare to use the TTC bus – PS the street cars are now operating again from the Union Subway Stn to Queens Quay. If you are on the subway there is no charge if you choose to board a street car from within the Union Stn subway stop.

For those who choose to head down to the docks on Sunday before the Subway opens at 9 a.m. you can catch the #97B Yonge St. Blue Night bus (Steeles Ave. To Queens Quay). This bus will let you off right across the street on Bay St. only steps from the ferry docks entrance.

For ferry schedules - check - http://www.toronto.ca/parks/island/ferry-schedule.htm

You may also want to visit the TTC web page http://www.ttc.ca/ for trip planning assistance.

If in an auto on the Gardener Expressway or on Lakeshore Blvd, then exit at Bay Street and drive south to Queen’s Quay, there are very, very few parking lots nearby (all for a fee). One of these parking lots is located just a block north of the ferry docks on Bay St.
NOTE 1: – For those who arrive at the docks early or need the fix there is a Tim Hortons across from the ferry dock entrance just east of the corner of Bay St. and Queens Quay and the Food Court in the building on the northwest corner of Queens Quay and Bay Street is now open and this too has a Tim Horton’s but is closed on the weekends and holidays but the “PATHWAY” to and from Union Stn is open 7 days per week.

NOTE 2:- If you want to learn more about birding on the Toronto Islands you can access my Toronto Islands Birding And Site Guide on the OFO web site at:- http://www.ofo.ca/site/page/view/articles.torontoislands.

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill
Ontario, Canada

You can't see birds if you don't go out but sit and wait for others to find them.