[Ontbirds] Ross's Geese at Rondeau Provincial Park, municipality of Chatham-Kent

Allen Woodliffe awoodliffe at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 23 17:11:46 EST 2015

Birders:

This afternoon at approximately 2 p.m., I found two Ross's Geese associating with several hundred Canada Geese at Rondeau Provincial Park. Although waterfowl hunting is ongoing at Rondeau, the Lake Erie side of the park on the east is not hunted, and so several hundred Canadas are typically found resting along the shoreline, and are quite tolerant of people. These two Ross's Geese have just recently appeared, and seem to be less tolerant of people. There were apparently two probable Ross's Geese with Snows noted in the last few days at the Ridgetown Sewage Lagoon and it is quite possible that this is the same pair.

Directions: From Hwy 401, take exit 101 and follow C-K Rd 15 south to the park. Just before the park, at C-K Rd 3 (Talbot Trail) there is a detour due to a bridge replacement, so follow the detour signs to the park entrance. Once inside the park gate (fee or vehicle pass required), turn left at the second stop sign and go to the traffic circle. The main beach is just off the traffic circle.

Photos are on my ebird submission, and will be on my blog in the near future (link below).

Good birding!

Allen Woodliffe

Chatham

http://pawsnaturenuggets.blogspot.ca