[Ontbirds] Vermilion Flycatcher - Wallaceburg - Wed Dec 30 + bonus Yellow-headed Blackbird

fpinilla15 at gmail.com fpinilla15 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 11:23:05 EST 2015

Good morning Ontbirders,

Happy to say that the Young male Vermilion Flycatcher is still here in Wallaceburg. I waited for about 90 minutes with a few other cold folks before spotting the bird at 10:45am. Thanks to Steve Charbonneau for pointing out exactly where the bird has been frequenting (he left before we saw it).  Same place as usual, near the back of the house next to the weedy field and barn at 1596 Nelson St, just north of town.

Also, earlier in the morning I had a huge flock of over 5,000 mixed blackbirds made up of ~1,500 each of Grackles, Starlings, ~500 Red-winged Blackbirds and ~ 2,000 Brown-headed Cowbirds along with 1 adult male Yellow-headed Blackbird at the corner of Mud Creek Line and Bear Line Rd (a little southwest of Wallaceburg).

Lake St Clair had hundreds of Tundra Swans and Canada Geese at dawn along with 1000s of Aythya species ducks (too dark and distant to tell for sure, but assuming mainly Redhead and Greater Scaup).

Regards & good birding,
Frank Pinilla
Richmond Hill, ON

Directions courtesy Steve Chsrbonneau:
>> The location is 3 kilometres north of Wallaceburg. From the north, take Hwy 40 south to Langstaff Line. Go
>> east (left) to Nelson St. and north (left) to #1596. The house and pasture are on the right. From the south, take Hwy 40 into Wallaceburg. Continue straight on Murray St., go over the bridge and continue north on Main St. Follow this to the end and turn right (north) on Water St. Continue until you get to Langstaff Line. Turn left, go over the river and turn right on Nelson St. to #1596.

Sent from my iPhone