[Ontbirds] Kawartha CBC, Dec 28

Dan Bone dan.bone13 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 23:32:45 EST 2015

The *Kawartha Field Naturalists* hosted the *Kawartha CBC on Monday,
December 28th, 2015.* It was cold (-9 C rising to -6 C) and mostly cloudy
with a 12 kmph wind from the East. Lakes and rivers were ice-free but
swamps, ditches and wet areas were 90% ice covered.

The circle is centred just north of Fenelon Falls.

Thirty-seven observers, including two in a canoe, found 57 species, a new
high, up from 54 species in 2006. We added 5 new species: Golden Eagle,
Double-crested Cormorant, Turkey Vulture, Swamp Sparrow and Common Grackle.
Our cumulative count list now stands at 97.

*New Highs (former high): *
Mallard- 382 (355 in 2001)
Bufflehead- 75 (19 in 2006)
Greater Scaup- 7 (2 in 2014)
Common Goldeneye-339 (118 in 2006)
Hooded Merganser- 25 (7 in 2011)
Common Loon- 6 (3 in 2006 and 2011)
Belted Kingfisher-6 (1...six times since 1999) (4 observed by canoeists on
the Burnt River)
Wild Turkey- 458 (343 in 2012)

*2nd Highest (high) :*
Canada Goose- 293 (309 in 2011)
Common Merganser- 479 (4651 in 2006, another open water year)
Ring-billed Gull- 50 (94 in 2006)
Herring Gull- 72 (113 in 2006)
Great Horned Owl-1 (2 in 1999, the only other record)
Pine Siskin- 461 (676 in 2008)
Barred Owl- 1 (2 in 2013)
Dark-eyed Junco- 187 (252 in 2006)
Northern Cardinal- 32 (35 in 2004)

*Tied for Tops (Highs other years):*
Red-tailed Hawk, *including one Harlan's *-12,  (three times previously)

*Low numbers (perspective):*
Common Redpoll-1
Evening Grosbeak-3 (eight years 1 or less, high of 513 in 2010)

*Missed:*
Brown Creeper
Sharp-shinned Hawk (now count week)

*Total Individual Birds of all species: 5695 *( above average but nowhere
close to the record of 11,507 in 2006)

Our stalwart KFN club birders were assisted by birders from Toronto,
Barrie, Whitby and Victoria, BC. We had ornithology students from Fleming
College and Trent University. We had canoeists. We had a good day.

Dan Bone, compiler, ONKW