[Ontbirds] OFO Jan. 1st Outing

dave milsom milsomdave at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 1 18:44:01 EST 2016

 30 keen birders spent the day in the Peterborough and Petroglyphs areas with by far the most open water ever seen on this trip. This resulted in few birds on the Otonabee River but several surprises elsewhere, including a male Ring-necked Duck on Stony Lake and 3 Northern Shovelers on the Lakefield Lagoons. Altogether 8 waterfowl species were found in the group total of 41.
On Highway 28 we found a group of 40 Bohemian Waxwings. At least 30 Evening Grosbeaks and 40 Pine Siskins were at a feeder on Northey's Bay Road. Up to 3 Red Crossbills were found in Petroglyphs Provincial Park along with Brown Creepers, both nuthatches and our 2nd Northern Shrike, which fed on a large dragonfly !
Other good finds were Sharp-shinned Hawk, a 1st-year Bald Eagle over Stony Lake; a single Snow Bunting, Glaucous and Great  Black-backed gulls near the Peterborough Landfill site; 6 Horned Larks on Scriven Road, 3 large flocks of Wild Turkeys; 4 Common Ravens; and at day's end 3 Eastern Screech and a Barred Owl in a woodlot just south of Peterborough.

Dave Milsom, Matthew Tobey (co-leaders)

milsomdave at hotmail.com