[Ontbirds] Re Vermilion Flycatcher- Wallaceburg, ON

Stuart Williams stwilliams68 at outlook.com
Fri Jan 1 22:37:23 EST 2016

I visited the Vermilion Flycatcher for the second time in a few weeks and
noted something regarding the bird's condition today which may indicate a
deterioration in the bird's health. I have been advised that I should post
this information with the intent that local birders in the Wallaceburg area
may monitor any further erosion of the health of the bird. Today as we
viewed the bird, Bruce Aikins noted that there appeared to be ice covering
the feet of the bird. Upon reviewing photos taken today it is apparent that
the "feet" of the bird are encased in ice--- so much so that the bird is
unable to extend the feet when perching upon the flat surface of a post
top---the feet stay curled since they are encased in an ice cast. When
perching upon a twig or cable (rope) it is unable to wrap its feet around
the object and uses its body to brace against it. I do not think that this
flycatcher has a counter current circulation subsequently the core temp of
the bird is in danger. This may be a temporary set-back for the bird but I
do think that the condition presented today indicates that daily monitoring
of the bird is warranted. Possibly this bird may be a candidate for a rehab
project very soon.

Stu

Stuart Williams

Cell: 905.432.5661

Stwilliams68 at outlook.com <mailto:Stwilliams68 at outlook.com>

Please note, stwilliams at trebnet.com <mailto:stwilliams at trebnet.com>  will
no longer be monitored as of 2015-06-30.