[Ontbirds] Huron Fringe Birding and Nature Festival

Fred Jazvac jazvacfb at bmts.com
Fri Jan 15 09:42:55 EST 2016

Posted with the permission of Ontbirds coordinator.

The Huron Fringe Birding Festival takes place on two 4 day weekends running from May 27 to May 30 and from June 2 to June 5.  There is also a Family Weekend aimed at 5 to 10 year olds on the second weekend.

 Almost two thirds of our attendees are returning, experienced birders that come each year.  Some of which make this an annual destination which provides them with an entertaining nature holiday.  Some of our  hike leaders are recognized throughout the province for their expertise and their contributions to nature. To keep you front and centre, we keep our bird hikes limited to 20 and our botany ones to 12.  Registration starts on line on February 1 at 12:01 a.m..  Some of our most popular hikes are filled within 24 hours. Our prices are quite economical because we have some generous corporate sponsors to make us a festitival bargain.

The festival, is centred out of MacGregor Point Provincial Park, near the town of Port Elgin in Bruce County, an area that has Lake Huron forming a bird corridor pushing migrants right through the park.   We are more than a birding festival, embracing nature in many of its aspects and other things related to them.  Tapping into nature in our area is rewarding because the Bruce Penninsula offers the most varieties of orchid and butterfly species, an incredible diversity of flora and fauna, and for the birder, probably the most nesting songbird species in Southern Ontario.

We have been ranked yearly as being in the top 100 festivals in Ontario and after checking out our program on the website below, you will see why we in our biased way think we rank with the best, in North America.  For the complete program, including the Family weekend, and prices, check out the following website.

www.huronfringefest.wordpress.com <http://www.huronfringefest.wordpress.com/>

For camping or for yurts at MacGregor Point ProvincialPark, please check https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/Home.aspx <https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/Home.aspx>
For local food, accommodation etc. found, in nearby Port Elgin, please check

http://www.visitportelgin.ca/search-accomodation.php?subCategory=59&button=Search+No <http://www.visitportelgin.ca/search-accomodation.php?subCategory=59&button=Search+No>
Our volunteer committee is looking forward to meeting you.

Take care,

Fred