[Ontbirds] Long Point, January 15, 2016

Ken Burrell kenneth.gd.burrell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:08:43 EST 2016

Hi everyone,

With the day off today, I went down to Long Point, in the hopes of getting
some firsts of the year that don't winter north to Waterloo. I had several
'good' birds, summarized below:

Chipping Sparrow - 1 adult in Port Royal, along Front Road, 50m west of Big
Creek
Savannah Sparrow - 2 birds, also in Port Royal, 50m east of the Chipping
Sp. spot
Fox Sparrow - 4 birds in the hollow, 400m west of the Turkey Point overlook
Sandhill Cranes - estimated 550 along Front Road, west of Port Rowan; the
largest flock of 440 was in the corn field directly south of Port Royal

Birds were very active today, likely in anticipation to the wet weather on
the way. I had the following sparrows scattered:
Song - 17
White-throated - 23
White-crowned - 3
Swamp - 5
American Tree - 390
Dark-eyed Junco - 610

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some real good birds in the large
Junco/Tree Sparrow flocks. Please email me privately for directions.

Ken Burrell
kenneth.gd.burrell at gmail.com
http://burrellbirding.ca/