[Ontbirds] Algonquin P.P. January 16, 2016

Karl Konze konze at rogers.com
Sun Jan 17 23:04:47 EST 2016

My son William and I travelled to Algonquin Park yesterday. Aside from the feeders (or places where people regularly give handouts) birding was pretty quiet.

Here is a list of what we saw:

Evening Grosbeak - 40 to 50 at the Visitor Centre feeders, as well as a few others scattered elsewhere.
Pine Grosbeak - 1 heard along Opeongo Road; another heard along Arowhon Road. None seen unfortunately.
Blue Jay - Quite a few at the Visitor Centre, Spruce Bog Boardwalk and Opeongo Road (at closed gate)
Gray Jay - Several seen at the suet feeder at Spruce Bog Boardwalk and Opeongo Road
Common Redpoll - Mixed flock seen along Hwy 60 near west boundary of Park. Another flock of 5 seen along Arowhon Road.
Pine Siskin - Mixed flock seen along Hwy 60 near west boundary of Park.
Purple Finch - Mixed flock seen along Hwy 60 near west boundary of Park.
Hairy Woodpecker - Two at Spruce Bog Boardwalk
Pileated Woodpecker - One along Arowhon Road, a few hundred metres in from Hwy 60.
Golden-crowned Kinglet - Two along Arowhon Road, a few hundred metres in from Hwy 60.
Black-capped Chickadee - Mostly near feeders; a few scattered around elsewhere
Red-breasted Nuthatch - Spruce Bog Boardwalk and Opeongo Road.
Common Raven - Here and there throughout

We DIDN'T see or hear any of the following species:
Spruce Grouse
Ruffed Grouse (but one was at the Visitor Centre feeders)
Black-backed Woodpecker
Boreal Chickadee
Red Crossbill
White-winged Crossbill

Mammals
We saw a River Otter along Opeongo Road, a Moose along Hwy. 60, and several Red Squirrels. Others saw a Pine Marten at the garbage cans at Mew Lake campground.

Good birding,

Karl Konze
Guelph, Ontario

PS. Thanks to Ron, Angie and Ken for helpful suggestions on where to look.