[Ontbirds] OFO Minesing Swamp

Mark Cranford mark.cranford at rogers.com
Sun Apr 24 19:09:42 EDT 2016

16 cars with 34 birders sampled the Minesing Swamp today.   Route was
similar to one described by Dave Milson in OFO News (Feb 2003)
http://www.ofo.ca/ofo-docs/Minesing.pdf

65 species over the course of a cool day seemed pretty good.  Our first
and last bird were the same although the final Pine Warbler offered the
photographers extended viewing.  We started with a good selection of
waterfowl and marsh birds on MacKinnon Road just east of Angus.   We did
NOT attempt to drive the Second Concession as at least 200 meters of the
sideroad was under water.

We visited a number of access points to Minesing including the top end
of Baldwick Lane which yielded an upland Belted Kingfisher perched in a
maple as well as Wild Turkey, Brown Thrasher and Eastern Bluebird.   We
were almost stymied on Warblers until we visited the west end of Ronald
Drive.  Lots of Yellow-rumped and a Pine.

Checklist will be submitted to eBird  but if you have any questions
about our route don't hesitate to contact me offline.

Mark Cranford
Mississauga, ON