Bird Bash April

Brent Turcotte brentturcotte at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 21:57:59 EDT 2016

This weekend's birdbash was most satisfying and fun.  On Saturday, I bicycled to Laurier Woods in the afternoon and spent a few hours there, with a few good birds added on the way back.  I also birded for about a half hour in the evening just off Sage Road beside Depensiers Lake and included birds from our feeders.  On Sunday, I accompanied Laura and the kids on a hike down the far end of the Kate Pace Way with a stop at the mouth of Chippewa Creek.  I am including a list of birds Laura observed for Sunday.

Laurier Woods:
2 Wigeons in main pond
A chickadee nest with a pair of chickadees feeding an unseen chick.
A large Dark-eyed Junco flock
A Northern Harrier being mobbed by a Crow.  The Crow didn't seem to deter it much.
Two Belted Kingfisher.  Not a species I expect in Laurier Woods.  But there is flowing water in the far end.
First warbler of the year for me -- a Yellow-rumped Warbler.
A chickadee singing off-key at far end.  Pitch was higher than normal.

Bike Path by Chippewa High School:
While looking for what I thought was a Golden-crowned Kinglet I found a Brown Creeper.  Found two GCK also.

Sage area:
A small flock of Fox Sparrows.  Fox Sparrow are likely my most sought after birds in April, difficult to find and
quite striking.

Feeders:
The overwintering immature White-crowned Sparrow returned.
Our feeders have been very active and I have noted a maximum of twelve Purple Finches at them and lots
of Common Redpolls (still), American Tree Sparrows, Dark-eyed Juncos and a few Pine Siskins.

Kate Pace Way (Sunday):
Rusty Blackbirds.  We recorded the unusual sounds they were making and compared them to Dendroica by
Nature Serve for confirmation.

Mouth of Chippewa Creek:
A good haul for the mouth: Bufflehead, Common Merganser, Double-crested Cormorant and Common Goldeneye.
Not present for the Bird Bash but seen earlier (don't count this Dick :-) were Bald Eagles -- twice.

Cheers, Brent

Brent Turcotte's List Saturday
Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose