[Ontbirds] Red-throated Loons at Darlington

geoff.carpentier at gmail.com geoff.carpentier at gmail.com
Wed May 25 10:36:25 EDT 2016

Yesterday during our birdathon we witnessed phenomenon that I’ve not seen many times before. There was a flock of approximately 18 Red-throated Loons that lifted up off the water and then flew north in a ragged formation. Two other Red-throated Loons remained on the lake when we left. There may have been many more as there were thousands of birds well out to the horizon, mostly Long-tailed Ducks and Red-breasted Mergansers.

Last year we witnessed a similar event on May 24th involving 28 Red-throated Loons.

Geoff Carpentier
AVOCET NATURE SERVICES

Contact me at: 905-852-2011 or avocetnatureservices at gmail.com
Visit my website: www.avocetnatureservices.com

Specializing in Environmental & Natural History Surveys and
Expedition & Personalized Guiding Services