[Ontbirds] OFO Tiny Marsh field trip

kevin.shackleton at rogers.com kevin.shackleton at rogers.com
Sat May 28 15:33:51 EDT 2016

I was joined by four easy going birders who were happy to go wherever I suggested.  We spent four hours at Tiny Marsh, mostly on the Trillium and Beaver Trails, and about 40 minutes on the dike.  The first request was for Black Terns, a life bird for two of the four participants and there were plenty, including one close view from the dike.We then decided to try the Matchedash Bay area for Blue-winged Warbler.  We found Brewster's Warbler on Lawson Line near Kinnear SR and then Golden-winged Warbler on Kinnear SR just north of the Cowan Trail.  We bumped into the Brereton Field Naturalists who told us they had not seen a Blue-winged Warbler on their circuit of the trail.  We next headed for Tiffault Trail in hopes of finding a Hooded Merganser, but saw no ducks at all from the viewing tower.Having started in the cool of the morning at 7 a.m. we were not ready to plod on through 32 C heat in the afternoon.  We finished up at 1:30 p.m. with 56 species for the day list.Kevin Shackleton