[Ontbirds] OFO Happy Valley field trip summary

John Schmelefske j.schme at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 22:19:05 EDT 2016

Happy Valley OFO Field Trip June 11, 2016:

In spite of the threat of early morning storms 16 intrepid OFO members attended today’s Happy Valley / Palgrave Conservation Area field trip.  We had a good selection of warblers at both locations, including an unsolicited singing Hooded Warbler at Happy Valley.  Also seen were Scarlet Tanager, Mourning Warbler, Wood Thrush, Black-throated Blue Warbler, and a very cooperative Pileated Woodpecker.

After a quick lunch it was off to the Palgrave area, where we added a few more warblers including Pine, Yellow-rumped and Nashville.  Blue-headed Vireo, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Red-breasted Nuthatch and Winter Wren were also present.  Bobolinks put on a great arial display just west of the town.  We ended the day at a nearby wetland with Green Heron and a calling Virginia Rail.

 By this time the temperature had risen considerably and we were glad to be heading home.  A total of 72 species were seen.

John Schmelefske