[Ontbirds] Ottawa/ Gatineau-recent sightings to June 16, 2016
k_zbitnew2 at bell.net
Thu Jun 16 17:32:09 EDT 2016
Ottawa Field Naturalists' Club
Ottawa/Gatineau (50 Km radius from Parliament Hill) E. Ontario, W. Quebec
Compiler: Greg Zbitnew at k_zbitnew2 at bell.net or sightings at ofnc.ca
June 16, 2016
There were no highlights this week. Ottawa is definitely into the birding summer
doldrums, without even the benefit of summer weather for half the week. Cool and
blustery weather through Monday made observation difficult and provided little
incentive to get out. Although the weather turned normal after Monday,
essentially only the breeding birds are around, and this will likely be the same
birding story for the next month.
A few late birds, harder to find birds or birds outside of the main breeding
areas are the only notable sightings of the week:
1. A late BUFFLEHEAD was at the Bill Mason Centre on the 12th.
2. A late SEMIPALMATED PLOVER was at the Shirley’s Bay boat launch on the
13-14th and a late SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER was at Quyon on the 14th.
3. There have been a number of sightings of the rather elusive LEAST BITTERN
this week- 2 at Plaisance on the 10th, 1 at Baie McLaurin on the 14th, and 1
west of Petrie Island on the 15th.
4. A BONAPARTE’S GULL was at Britannia on the 13th.
5. A BLUE-HEADED VIREO was at Stoney Swamp on the 13th.
6. Late TENNESSEE WARBLERS were at Plaisance on the 10th and at Meech Lake on
7. 2 GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS were in the Eardley Masham area on the 15th.
8. An EASTERN TOWHEE was on Greenbelt trail 10 on the 14th.
9. A VESPER SPARROW was on Murphy’s Sideroad on the 14th.
The OFNC's Birds Committee no longer reports owl sightings on the Internet. We
will continue to encourage the reporting of owls to sightings at ofnc.ca for the
purpose of maintaining local records.
Thanks to everyone who contributed bird observations. We encourage everyone to
report their bird sightings on ebird for the benefit of the entire birding
More information about the ONTBIRDS