[Ontbirds] First Piping Plover chick has hatched at Darlington Provincial Park

Glenn Coady glenn_coady at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 16 20:54:31 EDT 2016

Ontbirds subscribers,

I received word tonight from friend and Plover Guardian  Joachim "Yogi" Floegel that at least one Piping Plover chick has hatched at the first nest at Darlington Provincial Park.

This represents the first Piping Plover chick born on the Canadian shore of Lake Ontario since 1934 !!

Hopefully in the next few hours we will have four newly hatched chicks at the first nest.

Those wishing to help these plover chicks successfully fledge can still join the Plover Guardian program by contacting me at the e-mail address provided below.

Darlington Provincial Park can be accessed by exiting Hwy 401 at exit 425 (Courtice Road) and taking Courtice Road south to the first right turn (west) onto Darlington Park Road where you can follow the signs to the provincial park gate. Upon entrance to the park, follow the beach signage to the roped off nesting territory at the southeast corner of McLaughlin Bay. Please obey all of the access restrictions on the signage on the roped off territory if you visit.

Glenn Coady
Whitby
glenn_coady at hotmail.com