[Ontbirds] OFO / TOC / BSC Nest walk at the Toronto Brickworks

Lynne Freeman lynnef.to at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 17:23:14 EDT 2016

This morning Daniel Riley and I were joined by 20 intrepid, keen-eyed nest searchers at the Toronto Evergreen Brickworks. In 3.5 hours we found 21 nests around the ponds and the field behind the buildings.

2 Red-winged Blackbird nests - both empty
7 robin nests, 1 with eggs
1 Orchard Oriole nest with the male and female near or on the nest
2 Baltimore Oriole nests with the males and females apparently feeding young
1 Warbling Vireo nest with both birds going to the nest
1 Tree Swallow nest
1 Purple Martin nest
2 Grackle nests, one with at least 4 young and another with a bird in the nest
1 Song Sparrow nest, deduced from the adult going into the grass with food and emerging without food
3 House Sparrow nests with males going into the nests

Many thanks to Paul for his 30 foot extendable mirror!

A great time was had by all. The nest records will be entered into Project Nest Watch. I'll be putting pictures up on the OFO Facebook page.

Lynne

Lynne Freeman
lynnef.to at gmail.com

Sent from my ipad