[Ontbirds] Shorebirds arriving at West Perth Wetlands (Mitchell)

Dave & Tracey Brown thebrowns at ezlink.ca
Sat Jul 16 09:56:29 EDT 2016

Hi folks,

Good old Mother Nature delivered on a couple of inches of rain here in Mitchell over the past few days and the wetland cells are at the best levels I’ve seen in many years.

The shorebird cell behind the parking lot is near perfect for water levels though there is quite a bit of plant growth making spotting the birds a bit tricky.  The cell behind the plant is in fact just a few inches deep nearly all the way across as I observed many Lesser Yellowlegs right out in the middle of it actively feeding....and the largest cell at the back has some great muddy edge with lots of shorebirds on all sides of it.

Shorebird numbers have increased quite a bit this week and diversity is getting better with:
- Greater Yellowlegs (4)
- Semi-palmated Sandpiper (3)
- Solitary Sandpiper (10)
- Killdeer (100+)
- Lesser Yellowlegs (100+)
- Least Sandpiper (50+) (just one fresh juvenal that I saw)
- Spotted Sandpiper (12)

Best birds of the day ... a pair of Bald Eagles one which had gone down to ground (after the waterfowl perhaps?) and then came out of the cell and made several low passes over the cells before soaring up to join a 2nd eagle above.  Both these birds appeared to be sub-adults with brown tips to the tails and some heavy moult in their flight feathers. Gave me some great looks to say the least!

The fenced in cell is still full of water with little edge to it...but some waterfowl can be found there.

Also had some nice passerines.... Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Baltimore Oriole, E. Kingbirds (probable family group), a pretty good number of swallows (Barn, Bank, Cliff, Rough-winged, Tree) and even a few Chimney Swifts.

Good birding!

Dave

Directions to West Perth Wetlands:

>From the East (Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, GTA) - take Hwy 8 thru

Stratford heading west to first lights in Mitchell (Wellington St) and
turn left (south) and continue till you hit the "T" intersection at the

ball diamond.  Lagoon cells are straight back behind the ball diamond

and soccer fields and the sewage treatment plant.  You can go straight ahead

on the gravel and park next to the berm.

>From the London area....take Hwy 23 into Mitchell from the south and

just after you pass the "Welcome to Mitchell" sign...watch for Frank

St...go right on Frank St and head down over the bridge till you get to

the ball diamond (will be on your right).  Again...the cells are behind

the ball diamond and soccer fields. You can go straight ahead

on the gravel and park next to the berm.

>From Southampton area....take Hwy 21, to Goderich and then Hwy 8 to

Clinton and down to Mitchell, turn south on Hwy 23 to Frank St. and turn

left on Frank St. and head over the bridge to the ball diamonds (which

will be on your right). You can go straight ahead on the gravel and park

next to the berm.