[Ontbirds] Kingston Area Birds: Red-headed woodpeckers

Gerard gphillips at istar.ca
Mon Aug 8 13:14:22 EDT 2016

Hi,

Not coming from the Kingston area, I'm uncertain whether it's generally
known that Red-headed Woodpeckers are likely visible at the Gananoque Golf
Course?

On Aug 2nd, 3rd,and 4th at least one adult was visible in the dead snags of
large cottonwood trees on Golf Course Road in the center of the golf course,
and I also saw a juvenile in the same general area on the 3rd.

At least one hole in the cottonwood looked suitable for breeding, with the
bare trunk looking worn from use, but that's only a guess. I just assumed
they had perhaps bred at this location?

With a bit of patience, I'm sure these birds ought to be visible without
having to enter the golf course itself.

Good birding,
Gerard Phillips
Merrickville, Ontario.